- June 16, 2016
- Posted by: oscar33139
- Category: Caribbean Trademark Newsletter, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic
The George C.J. Moore P.A. Law Firm offers Patent and Trademark registrations for 26 Caribbean Countries. Recently members of the firm met with Donnell Dixon, (CIPPO Deputy Registrar General), Candance Westby Fisher (CIPPO Trademark Examiner) and Dax Basdeo (Chief Officer of the Ministry of Financial Services, Commerce & Environment for the Cayman Islands) regarding upcoming changes to the CIPPO procedures.
A summary of the changes is as follows:
- The CIPPO has announced that as of September 2016, the CIPPO will be going electronic. This includes all applications, assignments, renewal requests will be performed on-line.
- The CIPPO will no longer require original documents to be filed with office. A scanned PDF of the original document will be accepted for purposes of filing.
- The CIPPO will no longer accept advanced payment of the annual trademark maintenance fees. Payment of the annual maintenance fees must be made during a preset window of time for registrations.
- The CIPPO will no longer rely upon a UK, EU (formerly CTM) or other international registration for purposes of filing. The CIPPO will require filing directly in the CIPPO using a national filing for purposes of registration.
- The CIPPO will continue following the NICE agreement for the classification of goods and services.
With continued requests that our firm handle trademark and patent filings in Dominican Republic, we are pleased to announce that as of August 1st we can now prepare and file your applications in the country.
The population of the Dominican Republic is over ten million, with the service sector overtaking agriculture as the economy’s largest employer due to growth in tourism and free trade zones. The economy is highly dependent upon the United States. The primary language spoken is Spanish.
The Annual INTA conventional was held in Orlando this year. The attendance set a record with over 10,800 registrants. We would like to thank all of clients who stopped by our booth to say hello. We would also like to thank all the potential clients who visited our booth, we look forward to serving you.